From memory lane

      While rummaging around in some boxes I found some early photographs of my maternal Grandfather and real period pieces they are too. My guess is that these photographs, showing him dressing in his uniform as a tram conductor, were taken when he had just started his first job after leaving school. I'm quite impressed that he was photographed in his office and in the studio, a really progressive photographer.

      My knowledge of the family history is sketchy but I do know that before long he went to work in the steelworks as an apprentice Blast Furnace man and he stayed there through two world wars until he retired to his allotment and the Working Men's Club with his Jack Russell Terrier.

      I'm convinced that the tram is shown at the Norton terminus near Stockton and the Hintons' advertising is for Middlesbrough's then version of Waitrose. Great stuff, I must rummage deeper into the old boxes.




Comments

  1. Nice pictures, John. I liked the tram.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unknown, many thanks, from glass negatives and pin sharp too. I like the headlamp, it's more like a searchlight! John

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mam worked at Hinton's for quite a while. Happy days...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Was that the branch opposite the Town Hall?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment