Cotman's dawn



      It's 5am and the old terrier had just dragged his arthritic body outside for a pee, bear with me here I'm setting the rural scene, when I looked up and saw our favourite electric transformer box in a completely new light; a watercolourist's light in fact.
      The transformer box had gone completely John Cotman with a sky that looks like it has dripped off a sable brush, even Lovejoy would have approved.
      Talk about the fleeting moment, five minutes later and the cloud formations are still there but the dramatic light has gone and the sky appears flatter with far less definition. I'd only just managed to get the clean brushes, paper and paints out too.
      If you want to paint subjects like this you're not so much a landscape artist but more of an ambush artist.
      Time for a cup of tea, well after I've tidied up my mess anyway.