Shiny cheeks




      It's a real pleasure walking around the orchard at this time of year, cool mornings, the grass smells fantastic and of course there are all of the apples and pears.
      I was tramping round this morning pulling Jack Russells, terriers not apples, out of thickets and undergrowth when I looked up and saw a pair of shiny red cheeks resplendent in autumn colours looking down at me. A lovely pair of Coxs' Orange Pippins.
      At first I thought that they were conjoined apples but on closer examination they were just tightly packed and perfect in every detail, there is however a major problem with all this lovely fresh fruit hanging around.
      That problem is that my default setting is to keep trying all the different varieties as I pass and even the terriers have started eating the sweeter varieties while keeping well away from the cooking apples. There must be tons and tons of all of the varieties and so many fall and go to waste although the birds and wildlife have a feast too.



      Before I forget it also the time of year when the aliens come to get their apple harvest too and here's a suitable Startrek picture just for them. You may well laugh but one old farmer I met while fishing swears they land in the orchards and help themselves, he's seen them too. I wonder what their preference is? Baked, in a pie, raw or with cheese?
      Whatever it is I can't blame them for scrumping a few but do they do it before or after they charge their spacecraft's batteries on the power lines?



Comments