Down the creek




      A most pleasant summer evening and there's hardly a ripple on the creek, a small river that's three hundred yards away over the field in front of the house. I'm meeting a good friend who lives opposite and right to next to the creek and we intend to fish, shoot the breeze and above all relax.
      The creek holds pike, zander  perch, roach, rudd, bream, tench, carp, ruffe and eels but the target for tonight are the roach and rudd. A good mixed fishery that we tend to ignore because it's too close.


      I'm using stewed wheat and hemp as loose feed, a good combination at this time of year, and until the light began to fade at eight o'clock the fish were biting steadily but as the light began to recede the stewed wheat lost its attraction. A visibility problem?
      None of the fish landed, seven roach, four rudd and two bream were large but they were good fun for three hours. I must have missed over forty bites particularly when I changed to bread as the dusk drew in.
      This may well be a reasonable indicator of my all-round angling incompetence and receding skill-set rather than the difficulty of catching the native fish. It comes to us all.



      However a relaxing evening in good company in lovely surroundings, farmers I know driving past in their monster tractors and pick-up trucks giving a cheery wave, well it was all very, very mellow.
      None of the fish caught were massive but they put a bend in the rod. My friend Ian had a beautiful rudd of a pound or more so all was well with the world. Another indicator was that large perch were chasing fry and the odd pike was hunting too, now that does sharpen the focus a little.





Comments

  1. Pretty fish, silvery with a touch of orange and a forked tail.
    Nice evening indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most excellent TT. I must say lots of areas looked tip top as I motored along the drains the other day. I need to take a break next time...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alan, You can catch rudd on a dry fly. The large fish are quite beautiful but, as always, hard to catch. John

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used the 16ft greys rod and fished under the tip but the bites were lightning fast. Caught some, lost some missed loads but good fun. I overcooked my wheat so it was too soft but I was crap anyway! John

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to take a few hours once the schools are back

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment