A well proportioned lady. Lovely




      Finally a chance to escape the house and get out on the fen to try and catch some perch and pike. I decided to return to the farm because I felt sure that the icy weather that we've enjoyed so far this year will have laid some of the weed low and cleared the drain a little. The added bonus is that the high winds had stirred up a little colour and the wind today had put a nice ripple on the water too.
      I decided to fish with two rods, one for pike using a dried frozen roach about five inches long drifted under the float; the beauty of the ripple is that imparts a little life into the dead bait and it's a method that has worked well for me taking some good pike. On the other rod a lobworm for the perch, lobworms so big I reckoned they would arm wrestle the smaller perch out of the swim, clearing the way the way for the big ones. Needless to say that theory didn't work and remained, well, a disproved theory.



      I caught fifteen or sixteen perch on those giant worms on a size four barbless hook and in all probability missed as many bites, but it is impossible to dismiss small perch that are as beautiful as these fish. No wonder small boys love them so much and I quite like them too. Bigger perch were swirling and chasing bait fish but they remained elusive and I have to say I didn't care.
      The drifted frozen roach did pay dividends with a lovely pike that comfortably weighed into double figures, you know it's a good fish when it just stays deep and you don't see it for five minutes or so, the lady of the drain brought a smile to my face even though she drew blood from my finger. After unhooking and photographing she went straight back into the water soaking me with a contemptuous slap of the tail, I think I can forgive her that.
      I thought I may have caught some of the smaller males following her around but that was it, one bite and one beautiful pike.
     It worked for me.





Comments

  1. John wonderful post. I also prefer the small fish. Brook trout are so much prettier when their parr marks are pronounced.

    That pike is some fish. Well done.

    ReplyDelete

  2. they always say that it is small perch that get small boys Hooke as lifelong anglers. The pike was 15lb plus, I didn't bother weighing her. A beautiful creature. Perch are beautiful though. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evening John,
    That is a well conditioned pike there, I wonder what she has in her plump tummy?
    When I was a teenager I kept a couple of perch in an aquarium for several years, they where caught from a pond up near Captain Cooks Monument. They where beautifully coloured and became quite tame and friendly - they would always come to the front of the glass as someone approached and would take worms and lance fish from my fingers.
    Your post has brought back some good memories from my youth!
    Thanks
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
  4. LKovely ole job John. I have from the 6th off and several cHances for an afternoon as well before so we'll have to have a wobble or two

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alistair,

    That must have been the Blue lagoon near Great Ayton. I used to swim inn there sometimes, perish the thought and always for a dare but I never managed to catch a fish there. John

    BB, I'll sort some dates out over the next few days. John

    ReplyDelete
  6. BB, at my age I'm desperate for a wobble...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just checked with a friend who lived up in Lonsdale - he reckons it was called the 'Donkey Pond'?!?!
    The blue lagoon was further east, over near Percy Cross Rigg (no fish in there apparently!).

    ReplyDelete
  8. There were definitely fish in the 'Blue Lagoon'. Supposedly uncatchable too. I think it was an old quarry, you turned off the Stokesley new road from the born but towards Great Ayton and it was up in the old cliffs and cargos on your left as the road turned right into 'Canny Yatto' I'll lookonthe OS map! John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment