Temperature down, temperature up



      Now that the temperature has dropped to a more manageable level after weeks of heatwave conditions, we've even had some  steady rain, the urge to bake some sourdough bread reared it's head. Well we might as well get the temperature levels back up in the kitchen.
      The days are still warm, after all it is late summer, so Monday evening I started the levain for Tuesday's bake. First thing in the morning the water was added along with the flour and it was popped it into the proving box. After lunch Sue and I heated-up the cast iron casseroles that we cook the bread in and off we go. Twenty minutes at 240C to 245C and then the same again with the lid off.
      Hey presto, alchemy has taken place. Two loaves and I can't wait to try one with the morning coffee. A couple of lightly toasted slices with salted butter and honey, oh and how could I forget, three four legged friends sitting, in pecking order, and watching whilst hoping and praying I drop some crust.
      No chance.




Comments

  1. The one next to barney is our daughter's dog. They're travelling for a month and we are the kennels with a wolf pack. She is a real thief and should be called trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love a thick slice with ample butter spread upon it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John,
    I was holiday with the kids last week and along with fishing, fixing racing drones, swimming and being 'Dad's Taxi' I had a go at making a Sour Dough Starter. It is almost ready to use, my wife and I will probably put a trial loaf together tomorrow - I hope it is as good as those loaves you have made!
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mix your levain from your starter and leave it overnight to gather strength. If you send me your email I'll send you my recipe. John

      Delete

Post a Comment