The sourdough trail




      The cooler daytime temperatures mean that the Two Terriers sourdough bakery is back in production, and thank goodness for that.
      I always mix the starter culture with some Rye and strong Canadian flour in non-chlorinated water the night before and leave it overnight in the proving box at a steady 22C degrees. The following morning the enhanced starter, or Levain, is added to 800g of water along with 900g of strong Canadian flour and 100g of Rye flour, mixed and back into the proving box it goes until lunchtime.



      Then at lunchtime 25g of finely ground sea salt and a serving spoonful of water is sprinkled on the surface and thoroughly mixed into the dough and back into the proving box it goes until the dough rises almost to the lip of the bowl. Once up to the required volume the mix is poured, it's quite a viscous mix, into two pre-heated and oiled cast-iron casseroles.
      A sprinkling of polenta goes in the bottom of the cast-iron casserole and a little rice flour on the top of the mix. Then it goes into the oven for twenty minutes lid on, then twenty minutes or so with the lid off.



      When the alchemy has taken place the loaves are knocked out to cool and then you just have to keep your fingers out until the bread has cooled down. The following morning, terriers in attendance and anticipating manna falling from heaven, slice, lightly toast and enjoy with local honey and a black coffee.
      I think I might have to have a second breakfast.





Comments

  1. It looks wonderful, and I'll bet the smells could not be put into words.
    Now John what should I have for breakfast? Nothing to compete with what you are enjoying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smell of the loaves cooking is fantastic and I'm starting two more loaves this evening. I do like it toasted with honey or, on the savoury front, lightly toasted with smoked bacon and maple syrup...

    ReplyDelete
  3. look amazing, I dabbled in sourdough a few years ago when I was off work for 18 months due to an illness and used baking and bread making to keep me sain, it smells wonderful & am sure it tastes wonderful too. well done John.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started in January when my little super-ratter Jack Russell had to be put to sleep. Mind I'd rather have her back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi John,
    Super looking loaves you baked there. Hope my next one turns out half as good as these. The last one was ok (a bit dense but tasted good) and was devoured by my hungry tribe! I am going to have a go with your recipe at the weekend.
    Alistair

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment