A reconnaissance bonus




      A lovely sunny and breezy September afternoon and a big decision is made, I'm going to walk the river and the drain and see how the old friend is looking, as it turned out she was looking very good. I'd decided not to take the two Jack Russell Terriers because I'd end up spending all my time rounding them up. Dirty looks all round as I left on my own with no sign of the leads being taken down, that's life my terrier friends.



      The water was gin clear and every underwater weed known to man was visible down to seven or eight feet. The hazy film on the surface was caused by the dust generated by the tractors drilling and cultivating the land for the next sequence of crops. Having decided not to take Barney and Luce amazingly I'd decided to take a rod, reel and minimal tackle with me, well it makes total sense as any fisherman knows. You know, just in case.



      A walk along the bank, looking, checking out and peering into the water with an odd cast makes for a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon. Some old friends, like the dinghy that was slowly sinking last season, had been moved twenty or so yards by the winds and squalls but the dinghy was still slowly sinking. One day it will simply slip under the surface and I'll probably be the only person that will miss it.



      But back to the recon. The river was teeming with bait fish and the swirling and the sporadic splashing in places augured well for the coming winter season. I even saw a sea trout leap clear of the water. In the clear water a couple of pike could be seen following the wobbled dead roach but with so much food around they were hardly ravenous. Finally out of sight in the centre channel a fish took the bait and within seconds it was off and away. Why does that always happen when your concentration starts to wander?
      Then while the adrenaline was still moving and concentration was high a solid take followed by a five minute battle through the weed and the lilies and a lovely pike was finally netted.



      What is it about the first fish fish of the season? It fought like a demon and once on the bank the pike bit me and drew blood before being photographed and quickly returned. I don't know what it weighed, or how long it was because all that's irrelevant really, it was a beautifully marked fish, fabulous colours, solid and very strong. I do like pike. And perch.
      I went to the waterside not expecting to catch anything because of the conditions and he or she was real bonus. Then there are the Kingfishers and dragonflies and the lonely fen itself.
      It doesn't get much better than that.



      

Comments

  1. Get the Essex Scribbler on that sea trooot. Think I'll have one or two last goes for the carp and tench before going predator crazy. I'll wangle an hour or two your way in a week or so

    ReplyDelete
  2. John, now that's a fish that kicks ass.
    Well done....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chunky for an early season fish that John. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ES, A really solid and fit fish. I'll have another trip on Thursday or Friday but the weed is unbelievable. Frosts needed. John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment