It fell out of the roof




      I had decided to give the pike fishing gear a good clean and service which meant a trip up into the roof and when I opened the hatch to unfold the ladder something fell out and onto my head.
      The mystery object was a dead and rather desiccated dried-up bat, interesting. Time to get the book of British Wildlife out and make an identification of the near mummified corpse. I checked the pictures and wingspans but I fear the little corpse is beyond identification, so I'll settle for it's a small bat and it's black. Well it is now.
      Obviously the next job was to check and see if there were any more up there in the roof so light on and torch out but nothing, no signs at all. No bats. No droppings just a bare inner roof. I think the little thing must have taken shelter and the super-hot summer days killed it off. It does get incredibly hot underneath a black slate roof in a normal summer.
      As I've said before it all happens in West Norfolk.
      



Comments

  1. John...remnants of one of those Stoker's books.
    Perhaps you could use it to temp one of those pike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be careful what you wish for, vampires in the roof! I like bats watching them over the river taking insects. Amazing creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Release the bats. That's one for the Essex Scribbler

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment