Out the window and in my head




      I'm always fascinated by what people class as indispensable, can't throw it away, interesting, collectible and worthy of hoarding and I'm even fascinated by what I hoard. Everybody must be different and their collections must reflect their obsessions and hobbies and things that they find just plain interesting.
      I pick items up when I'm fishing, on the walks with the two terriers and in fact our one of our terriers, Minnow, used to pick up cartridges, bullet cases and walnut shells. A strange mix, she also found the cormorant skull too.
      The window sill here is in my little print studio so you get a view across the front garden to the river four hundred yards away and a view of my obsessions or things of personal interest.
      There's a collection of spent and live ammunition, paperweights, hag-stones, tins, old packaging, a couple of prisms, games, pieces of rock and the Lincoln Imp. There's even a brass measure or stick for testing how much beer there is left in a barrel, that's always going to come in handy.
      This isn't all of it so perhaps I need to talk to someone in a white coat.
      Fairly urgently.



Comments

  1. Hi John, My wife has an eclectic collection, mostly small stuff, that she keeps in a fancy glass top table, in the living room. Should we demand equal time and equal space? I have a collection of skeleton fly reels I believe really worthy (pun intended).

    Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete

  2. A collection of fly reels makes perfect sense to me, good man. The standard question directed at me is something along the lines of, 'why do you need that'. The 'that' in question was an interesting piece of driftwood from Lough Grainey in Ireland. It's a memory said I. Regards, John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment