Reed of all trades




      I do like what the people in this area call Norfolk Reed. It grows by and in the dykes, at the side of the  large and small drains it seems that if there is moisture it will grow, the roots travelling along underground and throwing up shoots in a seemingly random fashion.


      When you have lived here for a few years you realise how important it must have been to the original inhabitants of the fens and even up to the present day. Way back the ubiquitous reed roofed their homes and buildings and chopped and mixed with clay it made the walls of the houses, it provided the winter bedding for his animals and even roofed the hay stacks that provided fodder for his cattle in winter, never mind the stuffing for his own mattress. Then there's the firelighting potential of the dry reed, clever stuff Norfolk Reed and it's totally disposable or to use a current word, biodegradable.



      On a more trivial level to survival I've made fishing floats with it and pens for drawing too, they're even more throwaway than cheap biros because they compost down although they would never have replaced the large quills used for serious writing and record keeping.



      The sound that it makes in the wind varies from summer to winter and whether the reed is green or dry but either way that's the sound of the lonely places out on the Fen. Then you realise that it's home to lots of wildlife; reed and willow warblers, water birds nest and live in the small jungle that it creates along the river and drain banks meanwhile underwater the reed stems and root provides cover and a home for insects, small fish and amphibians as well as the larger predators.
      Norfolk Reed is a clever plant and sadly it seems to be taken for granted. The reed is everywhere but I don't think that people see actually it anymore.





Comments

  1. Oh I see it John. We call the plant Phragmites. It is definetly a fresh water plant. I live along the Connecticut coast where we have many salt marshes or salt meadows. The main plant of the salt meadow is Spartina grass. The meadows are a very fragile ecosystem. If and when the salt meadow is invaded by fresh water, the first sign is Phragmites growth. Not something we like to see.

    I had to google the strange fruit you mentioned recently. Keep up th good work. I enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete

  2. Many thanks John, I'm sure the reed is one of the plant world's great survivors. I hope you and Alan had a happy thanksgiving, I'm still trying to sort out, with no help from Google, why I can't comment and that 'prove your not a robot thing', well it doesn't do my blood pressure any good at all. Best wishes, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Norfolk reed so versatile a plant as you say John, I first came a across it years ago when I was making stillwater floats for myself, a few years worth of water has gone under the bridge since then but still admire it for everything that can be utilised from it.
    regards
    George

    ReplyDelete

  4. It must be a distant relation of bamboo and between them they must be the most useful of grasses. Even Spanish Reed, a bit closer to bamboo. I once had a lovely Spanish Reed rod that snapped while casting a big quill into the middle of the Tees,It think I was too young and rough for something so delicate! All the best, John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment