Garden archaeology




      I've been digging out some bushes in a part of the garden that was once a private drainage dyke. It's a long time since it was filled in but when I showed the farmer my 'treasure' he said people just used to use the dykes as a dumping ground even though they were so close to their dwellings. You finished the bottle or tin and you threw it in the dyke, because there was no refuse collection and definitely no recycling either, and the result is some old domestic treasure.



      My favourite bottle is the one in the middle that contained 'CALIFIG' the successor to California Fig Syrup, I remember Syrup of Figs as a kid that was administered by my parents every Sunday 'to help keep you regular'. Bizarrely I still like the syrup and fresh figs.
      On the right 'Virol' which was a yeast extract supplement and obviously did you good. The jar on the left once contained, a Brylcreme man's hairdressing perfect for looking smooth and irresistibly slick for the ladies on the big Saturday night out.
      The good old days.





Comments

  1. Just the odd bit of clay pipe occasionally from Bureboy Villa's midden. We must have been tidier over here in the North.

    ReplyDelete

  2. BB, We get the clay pipes but the web foots were obviously mucky buggers. Still it helped raise the land!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment