The overlooked bush




      The common elder doesn't seem to get a very good press, the leaves smell unpleasant and it's hard to get rid of if it's growing in your garden but in hedgerows it flourishes and seems to get stronger despite the attentions of hedge cutters and flails running off the all powerful tractors.
      Perversely I quite like the bush, particularly when it flowers, and then there are the great plates of black berries in the autumn providing food for the birds and bait for the fishermen.
      On the farm when I was child my aunt wouldn't allow dead elder wood in the house for the fire because you were said to be bringing the devil into the house. Don't ask me where that superstition came from but I can report that it does burn well in the stove.
      There are lots of elder bushes on the terrier walks and someone said it smells of dog pee but two Jack Russells don't even give it a sniff.





      

Comments

  1. I'm a fan too. One has self seeded right next to our frint window. Chopped once but vigorously regrown. It will have to come down this winter sadly as it is too close to the wall.
    I believe it gives off a poisones gas when burnt - which may be the reason behind the taboo of burning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do grow like grow like crazy. The wood I burnt was in the woodburner and bone dry, it burnt quickly but it did generate heat. Interesting about the fumes though. Best wishes, John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment