Procumbent, prostrate or prostate?




      The two areas of lawn in the front garden each have flower bed in them and in each of the beds is a fairly catholic mix of flowers and shrubs, some planted and just arrived by accident. Brought by the birds, the wind and any other method of transport that will get them there.
      I was working away in the front garden one day, it's my own personal Forth Bridge because as soon as you finish you have to start again, anyway a lady walking her dog stopped and asked, 'what sort of roses were growing in the beds?' 
      Well apart from being pink or red ones I said that they were procumbent roses and they weren't supposed to grow any higher than eighteen inches to two feet, although they are about six feet high now. I added that they were also called procumbent or prostrate roses because as they grow they gradually spread along the ground.
      My interrogator seemed happy with this and as she departed she said she was 'going to look up prostate roses'. No 'prostrate' I said.
       That's what I said she replied, 'prostate'.
       They'll be the roses with the male condition then.



Comments