On top of Norfolk




      A drive to the high plateaux above the North Norfolk coast to Bircham Mill well I call it the 'high plateaux' but it is, in simple terms, a beautiful part of Norfolk. When the Boss and I got to the mill, me driving and the Boss in the turret, we slightly overdid it. Tea for two with scones, jam, clotted cream and a Bakewell tart, well who's not to like about that indulgent spread? I think all of the major food groups were covered.



      Then a tour of the old windmill and I am pleased to report that I made to the very top and the head banging and head cracking climb was well worth it, the climbing down backwards was tricky too but I made it. The bonus of the tortuous descent is the as you approach the lower floors you are assailed by the smell of the bakery: bread, cakes savouries and that wonderful aroma of cooking and baking. Absolutely marvellous.



      We'll visit the mill again in the next few weeks just to buy some of their lovely granary bread and local cheese, as far as we're concerned you have to support the local providers of quality food and produce, I'm really looking forward to it. I met a couple of lovely stroppy Patterdale Terriers too so that was real bonus bonus.
      However I will give the climb to the top of the windmill a miss on the next visit, been there and done that. If you are in the area of the mill it is well worth a visitand the lovely produce that they sell is highly recommended.





Comments