A little country gin




      One of our near neighbours is a really keen gardener and last year she gave us bottle of crab apple gin, made with her own crab apples, which was delicious. This autumn the lovely lady has provided us with the crab apples, a variety called Dartmouth, and we've bought the litre of gin and two hundred and twenty-five grammes of the correct sugar.
       The apples have been washed and quartered, the sugar added and the gin poured into a Kilner jar and all that remains to be done is to remember to turn the bottle once a day for a week. Then store it in the dark for two months, be patient, then test the brew at Christmas by which time it will be crystal clear and ready for bottling. And for pouring.
      Brilliant.





Comments

  1. Hi John, I started a crab apple, from a cutting I took from a neighbor's tree about forty years ago. I have no idea regarding its variety but its an extremely heavy producer and the fruit looks just like your neighbor's Dartmouth. Anyway I pickle the whole fruit in a cinnamon brine leaving the stems on. They're eaten with turkey etc, on Thanksgiving. Pop them into your mouth then pull on the stem, while the fruit is behind your front teeth. Out comes the core leaving the delicious fruit in your mouth to be eaten. Nice post John.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB, There'll be one for you!

    John, many thanks for the recipe and idea, the Boss is on the case. What are the proportions for the pickling? How long in the cinnamon brine? Sounds delicious. Regards, John

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi John, great blog.

    We had a crab apple tree outside our house when I was growing up. Me and my mates would spend most of October half term throwing them at each other in crab apple fights.

    Having now passed fifty and attained the first level of enlightenment, this sounds like an infinity better use for the crab apple crop.

    I'll give it a go.

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Chris, I turned them at 06.50 this morning and they're looking good. I remember eating about ten when I was a kid. The first was the worst and then they seemed OK. I seem to remember that I had a bad night. All the best, John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment