A stand of Poplars




      I do like to see a good stand of Poplar Trees all silhouetted against the sky, very satisfying, I photographed this group of Poplars a couple of evenings ago when I was walking the two terriers. A local farmer told me that many of these stands of trees were planted many years ago to supply the match-making industry with easy burning timber.
      We have used some of the seasoned Poplar wood in the stove when branches have been felled by winter gales but it does burn away very quickly which, I suppose, makes it ideal for match-making.



      When the trees are in full leaf in during summer the noise alway reminds me of running water but now the bare branches rattle and tap and the wind moans and groans through them making them sound like the audio backdrop to an M.R.James or Sheridan Le Fanu ghost story.
      Sometimes when I'm out walking with the two terriers in the dusk it can be a good plan to switch the imagination off. On the other hand I could learn to whistle loudly or chat to the terriers as I walk along.
      There's nothing like a touch of Fen Gothic.




Comments

Post a Comment