Do you feel lucky?



      In the present situation I certainly do and I've just realised how lucky we are to live where we do. The penny dropped today on the morning walk with the two terriers. It suddenly dawned on me that I have a vast acreage of private farm land to wander over with the two of them and on the vast majority of walks I see nobody, if I do see anybody it's a farmer in the cab of his tractor who gives a wave and gets on with his business while fiddling with his GPS and finding his favourite music on Spotify.



     Despite the situation everybody is in with lockdowns and all of the orders, rules and regulations when you are out of the town, city or even the village in empty countryside you begin to realise precisely how lucky you are to have pretty well all of this to yourself.
      Amazingly and despite the cold and frosty mornings the cowslips are starting to push through and the plum blossom is beginning to brighten the somewhat stark trees, that will be swiftly followed by the pear blossom and the apple blossom. Then we've got the season of plenty to look forward too, that'll bring a little cheer too.



       The stands of poplars are showing their strange rather scruffy red blossom and the reed is beginning to show on the dyke sides and incredibly the deepest land drains are still flowing with clear water despite no rain of any substance for a three weeks, meanwhile the land is like concrete and cracking already. The big dry fields are looking like a strange terracotta moonscape.


      In these nervous and troubled times you have to feel very, very lucky to walk out of the house and cross the lane into this peaceful loneliness every day and not be faced with an overpopulated sea of brick and concrete trying to keep your distance from other people and even if it was pouring down it would still be a pleasure.
      Yes, we are both lucky, very lucky.





Comments

  1. Nice to hear from you on here John

    ReplyDelete

  2. Been a quiet spell BB, as I said it's solitary confinement but I/we count our blessings, think what it's like in a tower block... I've washed the car(!) prepared the greenhouses, worked on the garden, doing prints in the new series etc., etc.,

    Are you still out and about with work or confined to barracks? I'll send a longer email. A friend has offered to let me fish his lake and he's cutting me a couple of swims out too. Come on warmer weather.

    All the best to you and yours. Stay fit and well. John

    ReplyDelete
  3. I,always enjoy reading your posts. I am in a similar position to yourself, we live up a country lane although at the moment it’s been discovered by all and sundry. I can’t stop them as it’s a designated bridle path. Have expanded a very large veg plot, fortunately I purchased all my seeds before lock down. I gather the main seed companies are inundated with mail orders. Keep up the posting as it’s more enlightening than some of the other stuff on the net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Backwoodsman, many thanks for your comment. they'll all get bored before they enjoy their fist harvest. I'll keep posting from a bit of a reduced horizon, there's always something out there that someone is interested in. All the best and stay safe, John

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment