Never throw anything away




      Our farmer neighbour's mantra of 'you'll see, it'll come in one day' has been proved true yet again and believe me he never ever throws anything away.
      I needed some soft string to tie the tomatoes to their canes in our two greenhouses and I hate nylon thread or thin twine because it damages the plants. I'd used up my supply of soft blue baler twine, which, although it was a man-made fibre was exceptionally soft.
      When I mentioned the problem to the farmer he said I've got just the thing. Somewhere. But the filing system worked and after ten minutes the cry of 'have a look at this and see if it suits' came out of a dark storage shed, come tractor and trailer garage. He'd found a six pack of spools plus this spool that had been opened and still had about five hundred yards in it, it's hemp string too. Perfect.
      So twine bartered for tomatoes, it works for me and there''s the bonus of a lovely piece of printed ephemera for the label too.





Comments

Post a Comment