A kestrel's breakfast leftovers

 

      Just about every morning there's a Kestrel perched on one of the electricity poles beyond the back door studiously and thoroughly surveying his domain for a breakfast treat. On this particular morning last week I watched him dive off the post, hover and drop onto his prey despite it not being fully daylight.

      An hour or so later and I could see that his first high protein meal of the day had been consumed on the gate post of the farm gate as I made my way through with the two terriers. Admittedly they aren't very attractive leftovers, apart from the fragment of fur, but it keeps him or her flying. I don't have any idea if Kestrels have their own defined territory but the hawk is always flying around or perched on some vantage point on a farm building or in the orchard. I'll keep watching.




Comments

  1. Bit more messy than an owl pellet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. BB, you wouldn't want to pick that up... I saw him early this morning when it was barely light and he something firmly in his claws. It must be non-stop work. How's the wrist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bearing up TT. Hope the cast comes off 3rd Feb and then I can drive. I see fishing is back on again. I'll be mad keen by the 3rd.

      Delete
  3. John I'm glad my food doesn't look like that. The natural world is something for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, The kestrel obviously loves and they do eat it warm... Stray safe John

      Delete

Post a Comment